People suffering from health issues want to return to health as quickly as possible. Faster, more personalized services may help them do just that.
Working with specialized physical and mental healthcare providers, we’ve kicked off five ground-breaking pilot programs to explore new treatment options that could make a real difference in the lives of our plan members. The pilots offer individuals struggling with mental health issues and musculoskeletal disorders -earlier, more personalized and intensive treatment for their specific health needs.
By helping plan members quickly and easily access the treatment that is right for them, our goal is to shorten their recovery time and allow them to either stay at work or return to work faster. We also hope to help plan sponsors lower the costs associated with disability-related absences – and more importantly, benefit from having their employees back on the job, bringing their best to work every day.
Each pilot applies a different combination of early intervention and intensive treatment allowing plan members to benefit from a wider array of treatment options to meet their varied needs.
1. Early, intense and collaborative care - This pilot provides plan members with earlier access to an individualized, intensive multi-disciplinary treatment approach, so that they can quickly and safely recover from musculoskeletal or orthopedic disorders such as lower back, neck and shoulder strains. A Care Coordinator also helps plan members keep on track during their recovery journey.
2. Innovative e-care - This pilot provides virtual cognitive behavioural therapy and earlier access to evidence-based treatment to help reduce stigma and make treatment convenient. A Care Coordinator guides plan members through this program towards recovery.
3. Best-in-class human touch and e-treatment - Depending on the individual needs of plan members, this pilot offers in-person cognitive behavioral therapy, tele-psychology and therapist-assisted digital cognitive behavioural therapy.
4. Specialized and compassionate care - For plan members requiring a multi-disciplinary approach, this pilot provides earlier access to a blend of in-person psychotherapy and tele-psychiatry services, as well as the support of a Care Navigator to help them engage in their health and recovery.
5. Pharmacogenetics testing - This type of testing helps determine how genes can positively or negatively affect a person's response to drugs. This pilot gives plan members suffering from anxiety, depression or chronic pain access to pharmacogenetics testing to help physicians prescribe the most effective medication more quickly. This may lead to better health outcomes, reduce the suffering and avoid several trial and error treatments with potentially adverse side effects.
We’ll share more detailed information about each of these pilots in the coming months.
Manulife’s contracts are now available exclusively electronically. This means that the next time you make an amendment to your plan, you’ll receive electronic copies of your updated contract and booklet. This will help ensure that you and your members are accessing the most up to date materials for you plan.
We have also moved to a completely digital welcome experience for plan administrators. This only applies to any new administrators you add to your plan. They will be emailed information on how to log into their account for the first time. When they log into the site, they will be guided through the welcome process and directed to the materials they need to get started.
We recently moved to electronic booklets. You can find the latest booklet for your plan on the plan administrator secure site and your members can find it on the plan member secure site. If you or your members don’t have access to the secure sites, Manulife can email a copy to you.
New, specialized customer service teams have been created to better support you. When contacting the Call Centre, you can speak directly with a Customer Service Representative dedicated to your specific location in Canada.
Continue to call the same numbers: 1-866-318-2727 for English and 1-866-445-2727 for French, and input your policy number. Your call will automatically be routed to your regional team.
These customer service representatives will have greater experience with your location and can help provide more relevant and informed service - all designed to create a better benefits experience for you.
The Send Files tool is a new feature that will streamline day-to-day plan administration. Fast, easy and secure, you can send files in a variety of formats (e.g. .doc, .jpg, .pdf, .xls) through the plan administrator website.
Send Files provides a secure way to send these and other documents to Manulife: